Thursday, March 4, 2010

Potato Chips


I have entered a healthy period when I eat Potato Chips every day, and sometimes even more often(!)

The different Supermarkets in China have wide range of strange Chips brands, and you can also buy Chips based on weight on the street. The most types are really bad, and to be on the safe side it is imported(?) Pringles that is the solution - but it cost like three times the Chinese brand.

I have gone through the hard work to try all the local brands, and finally find one type that qualify:
Lay's, 乐事, (Lèshì), that translated means "pleasure".
The taste is in line with the west brand and it cost only a few RMB for one package. These days I have always some bags of Lay's in my room.

There are also disadvantage with this kind of food. My teacher just told me - according to the Chinese way of saying just "what ever" about a persons appearance:
你的肚子像西瓜一样的样子
...and it means "Your stomach look like a watermelon"
I am sorry to say that she sometimes is right.

Street selling of Potato Chipps. Possible to eat, but not more.

Lay's, 乐事 - The only acceptable Chinese Potato Chips brand

1 comment:

  1. I have just been informed that Lay's is american and a part of PepsiCo. This mean that it is still no acceptable Chinese brand ;-)

    ReplyDelete